The Duck Pond, 12 January 2017

Some of what has happened in “the duck pond” this week:

Southern Cross

Finally, after more than five years of work and planning my boat is in the Strait of Magellan. We had a nice weather moment although quite brisk and in she went.

It has been the greatest of pleasures to have my dear friend John Welsford (her designer) along with me here. We have had a wonderful time working hard, creating a new mizzen mast with the barest of tools and laughing until our socks have about fallen off. Thank you John for a friendship enhanced by a friend ship, Southern Cross. You were one happy guy when you climbed aboard her this afternoon. My experience here would have been diminished ten fold without you along!

To make the day an even greater pleasure we just concluded a one hour live stream classroom session with 4th graders (Derek Gries-teacher) in Hood River Oregon! The Topic was “The Miniature Forests of Cape Horn. We have now done two classroom live streams, we have another tomorrow and next week another before I depart (Eaton Rapids Elementary-teacher, Sheryl Meisterheim). Once under way kids from three schools will be able to track my progress. It feels great engaging with young people, they are off the charts excited.

Howard Rice

from Facebook

Quick Canoe Electric built by Alan Raedel

Alan wrote:

So I finished this Michael Storer (not so quick) Quick canoe electric with a few of my own modifications. I spent about 50 hours on it. Most of that was probably thinking and chin scratching time. I think I’ve enjoyed the building more than boating itself. It’s pretty. Michael has a good eye for simple lines. I have to add that his plans are well written and his tips on epoxy and glass techniques were really great.

My mods were:

1) Widen transom by 76mm (3″) with proportion adjustments to beam and transom rise;
2) Added the slotted inwale. That adds a lot of labor, but

I love the look and utility of it;
3) Made web seats instead of boards, again for aesthetic reasons;
4) For and aft flotation chambers with access hatches;

Had I known how obsessed I would get with this, I would probably built a Goat Island Skiff instead. Maybe next year. Alan

MIK Storer

from Facebook

17′ Tillamook Pacific Power Dory

Jim Slamp’s 17′ Tillamook Pacific Power Dory launched recently. He sure did a nice job. More info and some pics, here.

from Facebook


Huntington Harbor kayak

Maiden Voyage of a recently completed Huntington Harbor kayak. This builder did beautiful decking on the boat. FREE plans and more info here.

Jeff Spira

from Facebook

 Ta’al SUP

A summer Sunday, bad weather, a little bored, so. I started a new Storer boat plan?? A Ta’al SUP for my wife Liliane. I hope to finish it in about 10 days. BTW, these plywoods are the latest I got in Uruguay. The importer stopped bringing them from Brazil.

Daniel Caselli

from Facebook

Touring Kayak

Some updates on my new project. Its going to be a sea kayak for fast touring. The kayak is 5,5 m long and 0,54 m wide. The deck is finally fully stripped and I also built the cockpit recess. Now the fun part begins – sanding. I’m going to stain the deck as well. Btw, the kayak is 5,5 m long and 0,54 m wide. My favourite size for sea kayaks.

Andreas Deus

from Facebook

ECO 55 Sail

Here some new pictures from the ECOnomy Cruiser 55 from New Zealand. Part of the cabin looking forward, tangon, wing seat experiment.

Bernd Kohler

from Facebook

Tolman Tuesdays…gluing down the bottom.

I got the bottom assembly glued down to the stringer/bowstem/transom assembly last evening. It’s one of those big consequence jobs that require a good chunk of time coupled with a high amount of energy. You can’t take a coffee break during this job, or have a time deadline. A couple evenings ago I got the bottom dry-fitted to the frame, chalked the stringer centerlines and drilled out all the pilot holes into the stringers. Early last evening I was ready to go. I coated all the mating surfaces with unthickened epoxy, then mixed up about a quart of thickened epoxy to trowel on the stringers, bowstem and transom. With the two chain falls, I slowly lowered the bottom down until I could get the aft pilotholes lined up with screws started into them. Then I lowered the front half of the bottom down until their guides screws lined up. Then I climbed up on the bottom and screwed it all together, starting at the transom and working forward. All in, it only took about a couple hours including cleanup of the squeeze out epoxy.

Jim Shula shared Salt Water Workshop’s post.

from Facebook

PB 18

My winter project. A PB 18 sailing kayak. Skin on frame. The drawing just shows the rig, it’s not the right hull.

Leigh Ross

from Facebook

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.