“But, wait. There’s more. And, considering that I’ve been laid up for over five weeks; those Christmas elves have really taken up the slack. About the time, I had to go on the disabled list, things were pretty much 3-D.”
- Part 1.1 and Part 1.2
- Part 1.3 and Part 1.4
- Part 2.1 and Part 2.2
- Part 2.3 and Part 2.4
- Part 2.5 and part 2.6
- Part 2.7 and part 2.8
- Part 2.9
- Part 2.10
- Part 3.0
- Part 3.1
- Part 3.2
- Part 3.3
But, wait. There’s more. And, considering that I’ve been laid up for over five weeks; those Christmas elves have really taken up the slack.
About the time, I had to go on the disabled list, things were pretty much 3-D. That was with about three man-weeks total into this job. Tantalizingly close. And, speaking of close. That coachroof is only about 14 inches from the shop ceiling. And, I’ve been wondering how it was going to get sealed up. Glass would be pretty expensive, and probably heavy. Paint on stressed plywood almost always ends up checking. It was a problem. So, I got to ruminating on different things that I’ve never tried. At some point in the cobwebby past, I had a relationship with some canvas-on-cedar Oldtown canoes. It wasn’t such a stretch to leap to doing a ten by six foot coachroof. As long as the elves were game for it, anyway.
After just a minimum of semi-controlled experiments, we were off to the races. Just plain ol’ plain ‘ol cotton duck, for less than six bucks a yard at the local Ben Franklin fabric department. Set in a liberal coating of Titebond II-squeegeed and tortured into as smooth a surface as possible.
One night when the elves had already headed for home; daughter, Logan and her boyfriend, Derrick came by at an opportune moment.
Not even good working conditions for the elves. But, since I wasn’t supposed to go within a dozen miles of a ladder; I jumped at the chance to get this important job underway. And, their work is looking real good. In fact, I was so impressed with the work on the lid, that I started covering the entire exterior-and cutting short the R&D phase almost completely. At east I THINK it’ll stay stuck on.
Er, the ELVES took it on for me. And, they were having such great luck with the outside surfaces; they started covering the inside surfaces too. First came the facing berth/couches up forward.
And, that went so well, my next target is going to be interior partitions. Maybe even the overhead. This stuff goes on in minutes, and takes paint well. If only I could kneel. That’s the big deal breaker. Some of these spots are kind of hard to reach. And, the elves’ contract is up in a couple days. Guess we’ll be seeing whatever happens.
I’ll let you know what I hear.