A FEW HOLES, PAINTING, AND HARDWARE – Month of June and into early July 2005
I cut two holes in the roof of the forecabin to accommodate the mast in two locations. I fastened the mast step to the keelson.
Three coats of epoxy base coat and three of the final finish coat were added to the outside of the cabins at various times in late June, but the last coat went on after July 4th. I let it harden.
The rowing pads I’d constructed of RBC were marked for the drilling of four holes – two for bolts to fasten through the side decks and crowns and two for the oarlocks (two positions about 3 inches apart). Alan Sands has a drill press and allowed its use for the drilling. I had purchased new bits for the holes as that RBC is HARD! The drilling went well and the next day I made each pad fast to a side deck.
As to hardware, I added four chocks (three new) to the tops of the cabins – two forward and two aft. Pad eyes (one each from the solo dory) were refastened to the aft edge of the stem and the forward side of the transom above the cabin tops. Presently I will use these for the dock lines, but eventually they will hold the stays and I may build Samson’s to take the lines. I had much earlier put deadwood centered between frames below the cabin tops to take a through bolt for the Samson’s.
None of the sailing hardware is attached, but the boat is essentially done!
I am rethinking the name. As a tribute to Dad I’d thought “To the Breezes” an appropriate name, and it is. Another appropriate name would be “Perseverance.” I’m undecided.
On July 12th I stored the drift boat off of its trailer at a local storage facility – covered twice and locked fast to a lamp post. I loaded the new, as yet un-named boat on the trailer. It went on fine as Merine photo documented the process. I just backed the trailer up to the strong back by hand, fastened the winch cable to the bow eye, and started cranking. Like a dream it went so smoothly. Then it hit. I mean it really hit. This is a boat and I’m not building it any more. Wow! Oh, I will add to it. But it is essentially done. So, it needs to get wet!
I took a few pictures of the strong back as modified during construction (just like boat school) and took it apart. The boat shop is closed. I now have a garage again. In stall number one is my Jeep. In stall number two is Merine’s Rodeo. In stall number three is the un-named boat on the drift-boat trailer. This seems strange.
THE LAUNCH – July 13, 2005
By 0800 hours I was at Spring Shores Marina at Luck Peak Reservoir just east of Boise. I took an older film camera as Merine has “suggested” that I not take the new digital camera near water, so there are pictures of the launch and of the first four hours of the boat in the water. It floats! …and nicely.
I was four hours on the water. Only about two or so were spent rowing as I was checking things out and taking pictures, but as I type this, I must add that my shoulders and back are a bit sore. It rows nicely, but the oars from my drift boat at 9.5 ft. are too long. I had to overlap the middle portion of my strokes in each direction – one oar handle over the other. My intention has always been to build a set of wooden oars for this boat. I’m thinking about 8 ft. should do it, but they need to fit inside the boat for long hauls and for sailing. I rowed the boat up into what a friend (Bob) and I call “The Narrows” – the notch of the reservoir in the canyon above Spring Shores back to the side opposite Spring Shores and then to the take out.
MAST, RUDDER, AND DAGGER BOARD – July 14, 2005
The boat shop just reopened. Looking at the old dagger board and rudder I got to thinking that they may work on an interim basis with some modifications for the new boat. So I moved the pintles on the old rudder to accommodate this new transom and took wood off the old dagger board to fit the new trunk. I have marine plywood in reserve to build new equipment if and when needed.
The tiller arrangement – a parallelogram affair – is next on my list.
The mast will be made of pine planks. Today I acquired three 1”X 4”X 12’ and one 1”X4”X10’ planks. I cut the 10-footer into three equal lengths of 3’ 4” and laid all the planks out for scarfing. With the small electric planer that Bob House gave to me the job went very quickly. It took only about a half hour to obtain the scarfs. So I presently have three mast-lengths (14.5 ft.) planks – their scarfs setting – screwed and glued with C-clamps on the garage…er…boat shop floor. Tomorrow they will be glued and clamped together.
MAST – July 21, 2005, 2005
Last Friday I glued and clamped the three, scarfed, 1” X 4” X 8’ planks together. On Saturday I took the clamps off and put the unshaped mast on two saw horses for shaping. On the table saw I trimmed the blank mast to fit the holes I had made for the mast steps on the keelson and in and below the cabin tops. The base of the mast up to about four feet is rectangular. Then it tapers to an oval. To get there, using the small electric planer, I planed the corners until I had an octagon. From there the electric planer was put away and the hand work began. Using my spoke shave and the low-angle plane I carefully shaved off (sculpted) the wood until the mast had taken shape. On Sunday I looked it over and decided to take off a bit more wood. Then I tried the mast in the step. It was just a bit too big, so I used the electric planer to take that material off the base of the mast. I smoothed it out with the low-angle plane and sanded the whole thing.
On Monday I sanded it a bit more and gave it its first coat of varnish. Wednesday it got its second coat. Later that same day (it was a scorcher) the varnish had set so I fastened all of the needed hardware.
Next is the rig.