The Duck Pond, 11 January 2018

Some of what has happened in “the duck pond” this week:

Chameleon Dinghy Update #11: The Foredeck

On this boat, the foredeck serves several different functions:

It encapsulated air for added buoyancy;

It provides a substantial dry-storage area;

It provides support for the mast.

During this phase, I deviated from the plans quite a bit. (Surprise!) First of all, I shortened the foredeck area by 2 inches. Secondly, I added framing for additional support to the otherwise completely unsupported foredeck. Thirdly, I’m installing a huge, watertight hatch in lieu of the smaller, simpler lid that the plans suggest.

In the 6th photo, you can see a 5″ x 5″ square of plywood that is epoxied to the underside of the foredeck. That square is there because, eventually, that where be where the mast passed through the deck. That square is there to provide additional support in that area.

Like all other “holes” in the boat thus far, I over-drilled the holes for the hatch, filled them with thickened epoxy, then drilled the final holes into the epoxy. I’m hoping that this practice will protect the wood and extend the life of the dinghy. This particular construction detail is not in the plans, surprisingly, but it seems like a simple step that will be well worth the additional time and effort.

By the way, that hatch lid is pretty slick. It’s from a company called Tempress. It’s very tough and is described as being water-tight. Once installed, it only rises from the surface of the deck by about 1/4″, so it’s nearly flush with the deck itself. I like the idea of keeping a simple “abandon ship” kit in the dink and thereby wanted the foredeck locker to be quite dry. That’s my justification for the fancy lid.

Before installing the foredeck into the boat, I took some time to really square up the boat well. Without the foredeck the boat still had some flex, but now that the foredeck is installed, the boat feels very rigid and has very little flex.

By my count, I appear to have roughly 123 hours invested into the project thus far. As far as the plans are concerned… I should be finished by now. Of course the plans didn’t count on my constant deviations, alterations, and customizations. I do feel that I am over halfway through with the project.

From here, I’m estimating that I’ve got roughly another 100 hours remaining until I’ll have a sailable, rowable, and motorboat-able dink.

The project continues.

Ben Clardy

from Facebook






Blocks

Rope stropped ash block project underway. They are sized for a sailing canoe.

Peter Wilson

from Facebook


Water Rat

9′ Ross Lillistone “Water Rat” with lightweight 24lb thrust “Watersnake” electric o/b installed on simple bracket. A 35 a/hr deep cycle battery is strapped in by those straps behind the seat.It weighs 11kg.

Plans for Water Rat are in the Duckworks store.

from Facebook


Chat 18

There has been another nice update on the Chat 18 build in Holland.

See it here: projectcatamaranchat18.blogspot.co.uk

The text is in Dutch but says nothing the photos don’t show.

More on the Chat 18 here: sailingcatamarans.com/…/475-chat-18-daysailing-cat

The builder only started work at the beginning of November.

Plans from Duckworks of course!

Richard Woods

from Facebook


Simplici-Tri

First 2018 photo update! Here’s the newest batch of construction photos from my build of the 14′ version of “Simplici-Tri.” This small trimaran can be built in 10′, 12′, 14′, and 16′ lengths – all from the same set of plans (which will soon be available). Happy new Year, and happy boat building!

Frank Smoot

from Facebook


26 Sportfisherman

The new 26ft Sportfisherman build has started. My blog post today covers making stable building stocks for an accurate build. http://dudleydix.blogspot.com/…/the-new-26ft-sportfisherman…

Dudley Dix

from Facebook


SOF Canoe Seat

Seat for my SOF canoe.

Lynn Martin

from Facebook


Mast

Building a hollow mast birdsmouth style.

Chris Ring

from Facebook


Oars

Those of you on the US east coat will know it has been way too cold for epoxy work in an unheated garage lately, but I have managed to get some shaping done on my Culler/Michalak/Atkin oars.

Mike Schuit

from Facebook


Seneca Pacific Power Dory Recently Completed

Todd Brown just sent me these pictures of his recently completed Seneca Pacific Power Dory. It took him about a year to complete. It looks to me like Mahogany lumber and ply planking. This is why we build wooden boats over modern store bought designs.

More information, plans ordering information, and free downloadable study prints may be found at: http://spirainternational.com/hp_sene.php

Jeff Spira

from Facebook


 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*