The Online Magazine For Amateur Boat Builders














Tolman Alaska Skiff
Update 1
(Original Post)

click to enlarge When we left our intrepid boat builder, Jim had just finished the bottom sub assembly (in the picture at left on the right) and now was ready to "go 3D". The first chore was to set up the "shelves" on the strongback. (click images for larger view)
click to enlarge The transom was then set on the strongback and a couple of temporary braces were set up to hold the stringers.
click to enlarge Here you can see the stem post with it's temporary brace back to the strongback. Note the forward "shelf" support allows them to dip to the proper shear shape before meeting at the stem.
click to enlarge Here the Versa-Lam beams have been set in place on the transom and temporary supports. These stringers have been shaped after being ripped from a single stick.
click to enlarge Now the bottom sub-assembly is set on the stringers after they were epoxied to the transom.
click to enlarge Here Jim fits the stem to the bottom sub-assembly. Everything went together beautifully thanks to the clear instructions in Renn Tolman's book.
click to enlarge To make sure the bottom sub-assembly fit against the stringers, we made a Rube Goldberg sort of clamp with 2 x 4's and pipe clamps. It looks awful, but it did the trick.
click to enlarge With the front clamped in place and the rear of the bottom screwed to the transom, Jim spiled, or marked where the beams met the bottom. Then the clamps were released, screw holes were drilled, epoxy was applied, and the bottom was glued to the stringers.
click to enlarge You may remember from our last episode that the forward part of the bottom was 1/4" ply while the rest was 1/2". This meant that Jim had to laminate the other 1/4" onto the forward area. Here he spreads epoxy onto the bottom with a squeege.
click to enlarge Here he spreads resin on the extra piece that has already been cut to fit. The reason this is done in two pieces like this is that a single 1/2" sheet of ply would not easily bend into the proper shape.
click to enlarge Here you can see the screws and fender washers that are holding the laminated pieces in place while the epoxy cures. Jim WD-40ed the screws beforehand so that they could be withdrawn. Since they were to be removed, he used screws that protruded through both layers.
click to enlarge It's a good thing he did, too, as many of them spun out in the 1/4" ply and had to be backed up with scraps of 3/4" ply in order to hold.
click to enlarge Here is a view from head-on. Jim is building this Jumbo version a bit longer than the book shows which is why you see the tiny gap where the two top pieces join the stem. No problem, he will fix that with some thickened epoxy a little later on.
click to enlarge After that bottom, the sides are a piece of cake. The aft sections of the sides are scarfed from two sheets each on the table on the left of this photo. They are then glassed on the inside (see post 1) and glued to the bottom and "shelves" with the glass to the inside.
click to enlarge Next the bow side sections are presented to the boat for spiling. Notice that he had to open the shop door to make room.
click to enlarge
With a few screws holding this piece in place temporarily, Jim marks where to cut this sheet of ply so it will fit.
click to enlarge

Just a few minor adjustments, and we close the door on this chapter of our adventure.

Next month - glass the bottom, paint, and turnover.